Monday, November 3, 2008

What's New for Me?

The International Quilting Association's grand show in Houston closed Sunday night -- and my feet were so thankful! Quilt shows are always so much fun for me. I love seeing the quilts on display, meeting the makers, visiting with friends old and new, and hunting down antique quilts and blocks that can serve as inspirations for new quilts. The Houston quilt show definitely fulfilled my hopes: my brain is just buzzing with ideas for new quilts! I saw so many wonderful 19th century quilts; I just need a few more hours a day to get them made... don't we all? And the daylight savings time change only gave me ONE hour. What's with that?! So until I get those new quilts designed and made, below are some quilts that I recently finished.

Stars for a New Day
83 x 83"

At the Houston quilt show, Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims hosted a booth for The Quilt Show, their online community for quilters. Alex and Ricky are warm and genuine people. They had invited me to design and make the 2009 Quilt Show block-of-the-month. And so my quilt, "Stars for a New Day," made its debut (pictured above). The quilt patterns for this block-of-the-month are free of cost to anyone who signs up for a year's membership with The Quilt Show at
http://www.thequiltshow.com/. Each month in 2009, a new pattern becomes available online and members print it out. The quilt pattern is a bargain if you join, but there is so much more. Go to The Quilt Show website, take the "tour," and see one of the online video shows. Membership is a lot of fun!

By the way -- I also started making a second version of "Stars for a New Day" using Alex Anderson's "Never Enough Romance" line of fabric -- I love how it is turning out.


And so w
hat else have I been working on? I finished Ruffled Feathers -- I love the blocks in it because they each have a "halo" around the star. The blocks are easily made and the pattern, as are all of mine , is available from Quakertown Quilts (http://www.quakertownquilts.com/).



Ruffled Feathers
69-1/2 x 85-1/2 inches


I also finished my chocolate and bubble gum colored "Lily Rosenberry" quilt. As soon as it comes home from its visit to a local quilt shop, I'll post a photo of it. I love brown and pink fabrics together.

And so what am I working on now? I am leading two workshops and giving a lecture down on Galveston Island in February. One workshop will be aimed at teaching applique techniques and skills, using an antique rose pattern (pictured below). The other quilt will be a delightfully simple pieced quilt with no critical seamline intersections -- I'm looking forward to a fun day with that class, because there is nothing frustrating about the piecing. Pictures of that quilt will be forthcoming! If anyone is interested in the Galveston Retreat, it is being organized through Quakertown Quilts -- we always have a lot of fun at this gathering, and winter is Galveston's best-kept secret!

The Antique Rose Quilt
69 x 86 inches

That's all for now -- I hope you are enjoying the Fall weather.
Until we meet again, happy quilting!

Sue
(c)2008 Susan H. Garman


5 comments:

  1. Sue, your work is amazing and so are you! You are one of the greatest quilters of all times. I am astounded at the amount of quality designs you produce every year. You create a spectacular quilt and then turn around and make another one! On top of that, you are so generous with your methods. The "quilting world" thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I am in total agreement with raedene. I couldn't have said it better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments -- they are deeply apprecaited. My only problem with quiltmaking is... I have a thousand more quilts in my head and I just can't sew fast enough to get them made! Where are those elves hiding when I need them?
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, it was great to see you at Market/Festival with your beautiful quilts! Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Kreativ Quilter/Blogger award (smile) you can read about it on my 11.16 post www.quiltsnkaboodle.blogspot.com See ya at at guild!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, where to begin? My sister and I will be with you in Feb. in Galveston, joy. We're working on Ladies and have others of your quilts "backed up" to begin later. My question for now is: I love your redwork idea for "Stars for a New Day" and I'm downloading the pattern from TQS. Have you worked on any of the fabric requirements for the Alex Anderson's Never Enough Romance in order to do Stars in red? I would love to order the correct yardages before, possibly, the purveyors start to run out of the different reds. Thanks for all you do, there are lots of hidden fans of yours out here, believe me. I hail from Modesto CA and my sister's from Lake Charles LA.
    Thanks,
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete